up one level
How to Publish A Blog of My Thoughts to the World For Twenty-Two Dollars Per Year
By w̶i̶e̶l̶d̶l̶i̶n̶u̶x̶.̶c̶o̶m̶ author Morgan Jassen
I want to publish a blog of my thoughts to the world, from my computer. I don't want to pay anything beyond what's ethical, nor pay anything beyond what I'm already paying for computer and internet service (even though I did end up paying $22 beyond it), nor pay anything beyond what it is worth. (how much is it really worth, might be another topic)
How have I done it?
Here's one way, which is how I did it, which as of right now is costing $22 per year. A high-level check-list:
- Existing internet connection.
- Computer running web server software and left running 24/7.
- Configure router port-forwarding.
- Pay $12/yr registration fee to get domain name registration for w̶i̶e̶l̶d̶l̶i̶n̶u̶x̶.̶c̶o̶m̶ and point it to the dynamic dns provider so that I don't have to point it to my numerical IP address.
- Pay $10/yr dynamic dns service ( for example https://www.dynu.com, or other ), which allows me to point my domain name to it. As of this writing, the dynamic dns service routes the domain name to 126.96.36.199 -- that is to say it routes the domain name to whatever IP address my current (dynamic) IP address happens to be.
- Upload the website/files to the server. (Optionally, how I have done it, is to use static html pages instead of CMS/database. This is so the computer won't as easily be strained and break under moderate or under heavier traffic.)
In conclusion, this has been an overview description, including some lower-level details, of one way how to serve a blog of my thoughts to the world for $22/yr.
[2019-03-11 edit: Moved to: https://investorworker.com/2017/... .html.]