up one level
How to Symmetric Password Encrypt a File on Mac with GPGTools
GPGServices and then Decrypt it on Windows with Gpg4win Kleopatra
Applicable software versions:
GPG Keychain Access Version 1.1.3 (601) for Mac
Gpg4win Version 2.2.1 for Windows
Kleopatra Version 2.2.0 for Windows
Mac OSX Version 10.9.3
Windows 8.1 Pro N
– On the Mac, Install GPGTools for mac
– On the Windows PC, install Gpg4win
Downloads can be found on, or linked to from the GnuPG website:
Steps to encrypt the file on Mac:
– On the Mac, on the file wished to be encrypted, choose:
(control+click) -> Services -> “OpenPGP:Encrypt File”
– On the “Choose Recipients…” Window that comes up, enable
the “Encrypt with password” checkbox, disable the “Add to
recipients” checkbox and click OK.
– The “Pinentry Mac” window appears. In the “Passphrase”
field, create/enter (and remember or safely note) a passphrase.
Re-enter it when prompted again.
– This will create an encrypted copy of the file, next to the
Then Send/transfer the encrypted file however you like to the
Steps to decrypt the file on Windows PC:
– On the Windows PC, launch Kleopatra and choose “File” ->
– Browse to the wished-to-be-decrypted file and choose “Open”,
and in the “Decrypt/Verify Files” window that appears, choose a
destination folder and click the “Decrypt/Verify” button.
– A “pinentry” window will come up, prompting to enter the
passphrase that was used to encrypt the file. Enter the passphrase .
– The contents of the wished-to-be-decrypted file will become
decrypted into the destination folder.
“How to Decrypt Using GPG”:
“GPG Encryption Guide – Part 4 (Symmetric Encryption)”:
“18 Signing and encrypting files”:
“How to encrypt and sign text or files with GPGServices?”:
“Decrypting a file using GPG4Win (Kleopatra)”:
*2014-12-05 edit: previously published at
[2020 edit: Moved to: https://investorworker.com/2014/... .html.]